10.07.2007

Housing Adventures

If you don't know, finding housing in New York can be... to say the least, interesting. I spent the last 4 days looking at places and emailing people to no avail. Some in places, I probably shoudn't have been traveling to at night alone. "Up and and Coming" is how you market "Murders and rapes are down! Only 40 this week."

On Tuesday, as I walked back to the subway station from a prospective apartment in an "up and coming" area this lanky street walker, decked out in his jean suit (Jacket. Pants. The works.) walks past and yells, "hey girl." I, of course foolishly turned and looked at him. Damn it. I've made eye contact. So he turns around and starts walking alongside me to continue this misconstrued moment:

"Hey gurl, what you doin' ta-night? Let's hang out."
"I can't."
"Where you from?"
"Here."
"So... we can hang out anotha time?"
"Maybe."
"Gimme yo numba."
"I don't have one."
"You ain't got one?"
"My phone was shut off."


By this point I am walking up the stairs to the subway station, and he then proceeds to try and grab my arm in a last minute desperation before I walk through the turnstiles.

"Wait, girl. Where you goin'?"
"I have to go. I have somewhere to be."
"Aiight, then whats yo address?"
"NO."

Saved by a $2 subway ride.

Maybe a broker will help. Help steal all my money... and possibly give me an apartment.

No comments: